Growing up in rural Idaho fall always came with a bountiful harvest of a variety of botanicals. One of my favorite treats was the crisp, sweet, juicy taste of an apple fresh from the trees of autumn. There is nothing quite like that snap of crispness that refreshes the senses on a warm afternoon.
Apples are a power house of health building goodness.
- They are packed with over 4 grams of fiber. That is around 17% of our recommended daily need. The soluble portion of that fiber is known as pectin and helps build good bacteria in the gut, as a pre-biotic. Remember the importance of the gut-brain connection.
- Another benefit, they filled with micro-nutrients such as potassium and vitamin C to name a few.
- Apples also contain plant compounds known as antioxidants in the form of quercetin, catchin and Chlorogenic acid.
Tree ripened apples are gloriously wonderful raw or cooked in a variety of ways. An all time favorite treat is the caramel apple. Delicious, but not so healthy in the traditional form, right? This is why I am always on a quest for healthy snacks or desserts that combine super foods and taste delicious.
A note about apples: they are a thinned skinned fruit. So, think in terms of them being easily offended and absorbing pesticides, herbicides, waxes and any other invading forces they might come in contact with. Organic is always best especially when it comes to thin skinned fruits. In the super market organic produce starts with the number 9 on their PLU code aka the little sticker.
For this tasty snack you will need:
- An apple of your favorite variety
- 2 Tb Almond Butter or Cashew Butter (can be thinned with a little water, orange juice, lime juice or maple syrup)
- ½ to 1½ Tb of Maca Powder ( Maca has a strong earthy taste)
- Cocoa Nibs
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Cocoa Powder
- Chopped Nuts
- Matcha Powder
- Sliced banana
- Be creative, use Your imagination!
Steps to assemble your healthy creation
- Wash, dry and slice your apple
- Arrange the slices on a plate or flat bowl
- Drizzle the nut butter over the apple slices
- Sprinkle the Maca powder over the apple and nut butter
- Drizzle the honey or maple syrup across the top
- Sprinkle on the cocoa nibs
Now you are ready to eat (and share!) this anytime yummy treat. Enjoy!